What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Imidapril is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Imidapril is pronounced as: e–mid-a- pril
Imidapril is an anti hypertensice drug belongs to angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
Imidapril is used in the management of hypertension.
- Take Imidapril exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take Imidapril with a full glass of water on empty stomach preferably 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meal. Take plenty of oral fluids when on Imidapril.
- Do not take Imidapril in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Imidapril without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Do not use potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Potassium sparing diuretics like Amiloride, Spironolactone
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- NSAIDs like Diclofenac, aspirin, Ibuprofen etc
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions , as Imidapril should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease,
- Renal artery stenosis
- Connective tissue disorder like Lupus, scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ascites (fluid in the abdomen)
Pregnant woman: Imidapril belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that imidapril can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use imidapril with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Imidapril passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use imidapril with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Avoid alcohol when on imidapril as it increases the drowsiness and side effects caused by imidapril.
Imidapril is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Imidapril are
- Rapid or slow Irregular heartbeat
Imidapril may cause following side effects
- Decrease in sexual interest
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Decrease in the amount of urine or no urine at all
- Easy bruising. Bleeding, weakness, pale skin
- Muscle cramps. Tingling numbness in extremities
Store imidapril at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Imidapril causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor as it may cause life threatening cardiac arrhythmias due to increase in potassium levels.
- Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels is required especially in elderly patients and those with renal impairment to look for side effects.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking imidapril.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012