What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Hydride (Micro Cardicare)
Hydrochlorothiazide is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Hydrochlorothiazide is pronounced as: HYE-droe-KLOR-oh-THYE-a-zide
Hydrochlorothiazide is a cardiovascular drug / diuretic / thiazide diuretic which helps in removing fluid from the body. Hence, it’s also known as “water-pill”.
Hydrochlorothiazide is used in treatment of
- Excessive fluid retention as in cardiac failure, cirrhosis, chronic renal failure, nephrotic syndrome, Cushing’s disease.
- Take Hydrochlorothiazide exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take hydrochlorothiazide with or with out food.
- Take Hydrochlorothiazide preferably during daytime to avoid waking up during night for urination.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Hydrochlorothiazide without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulpha drugs like sulphamethoxazole, , etc as it may cause allergic reaction in these patients also.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Corticosteroids like prednisone
- Cholesterol lowering drugs like Cholestyramine, Colestipol
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as hydrochlorothiazide should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Addison’s disease
- Anuria ( passing no urine at all)
- Electrolyte disturbance
Do not take hydrochlorothiazide if you are unable to rrinate.or you have sulphonamide allergy. Do not take hydrochlorothiazide in sever hepatic and renal impairment
Pregnant woman: hydrochlorothiazide belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that hydrochlorothiazide is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether hydrochlorothiazide passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take hydrochlorothiazide with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Other: Regular monitoring of body electrolyte is required when on hydrochlorothiazide to look for side effects.
If you are diabetic and on hydrochlorothiazide, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels
Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Hydrochlorothiazide.
Hydrochlorothiazide is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Hydrochlorothiazide are
- Very dry mouth , increased thirst
Hydrochlorothiazide may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if you notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes, skin)
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Muscle pain & weakness
- Numbness & tingling sensation
- Extreme weakness, drowsiness, irritability
- Fast irregular heartbeat
Store hydrochlorothiazide at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Hydrochlorothiazide causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence a void alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
- Your doctor may prescribe potassium supplement along with hydrochlorothiazide medication as it depletes potassium from the body. Do not increase or decrease the dose without your doctor’s advice
- Hydrochlorothiazide sensitizes the skin to sunlight. Avoid prolong exposure to sunlight or wear long sleeved clothing& use sunscreen when you go out in sun.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet,quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012