What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Ganguard cap [Ranbaxy (Super specialty)]
Gavir vial [United Biotech]
Ganciclovir is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Ganciclovir is pronounced as:gan-SYE-kloe-vir
Ganciclovir is an anti infective / anti viral drug.
Ganciclovir is used in the treatment and prevention of CMV (cytomegalo virus) infection in immuno compromised individuals and advanced HIV infection.
- Take ganciclovir exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose with meals with one full glass of water. Take plenty of oral fluids when on ganciclovir medication.
- Ganciclovir vial should be inspected visually for particulate matter prior to administration. Preparations of ganciclovir containing visibly opaque particles should NOT be used.
- Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better. You must complete the entire course of medication. If you don't, the infection will not clear completely and may cause recurrence.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- anti virals(didanosine) ,
- probenecid(antigout drug)
- Zidovudine (retroviral drugs)
- Imipenem/cilastin (anti cancer drugs)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as Acyclovir should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Renal impairment
- Patient on dialysis
- Liver disease
- Bone marrow suppression
Do not use ganciclovir if you have
Pregnant woman: Ganciclovir belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that ganciclovir may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether ganciclovir passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take ganciclovir with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
- Effective form of birth control is required for women who is taking ganciclovir. Discuss with your health care provider for the best contraceptive method.
- Men should use condom while he is taking ganciclovir and for at least 90 days after stopping the medication.
Ganciclovir is available as tablet, and injection. Your doctor will prescribe it depending on the condition and severity of the disease.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. For detailed dosage information, consult your doctor, as your doctor will prescribe depending on the condition and severity of the disease.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control center or emergency center immediately for immediate care of physician.
You may experience following symptoms like
- Passage of Decreased quantity of urine or no urine at all.
- Jaundice ( yellowing of skin and eyes)
Ganciclovir may cause following side effects like
- swelling in your hands or feet
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms
- Allergic reactions characterized by swollen lips, difficulty in breathing, rashes, etc.
- Sore throat , oral ulcers
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Decrease in the quantity of urine.
Store ganciclovir at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom. Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Ganciclovir causes dizziness. Therefore avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Consult your ophthalmologist regularly for routine eye check up and for follow up.
- Your doctor may advise you to take renal function test (like serum creatinine,
- BUN, blood urea) and complete blood test, regularly to monitor any side effects.
- Ganciclovir decreases the body immunity making you prone for infections;
- therefore avoid contact with people who have cold and infections.
- Ganciclovir may lower sperm production and cause infertility.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012