What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Renedil (Sanofi Aventis)
Felodipine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Felodipine is pronounced as: fe LOE di peen
Felodipine is an Anti hypertensive / Calcium Channel Blocker.
Felodipine is used in the treatment of hypertension and angina (chest pain).
- Take felodipine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water.
- Take felodipine at the same time every day to avoid forgetting.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking felodipine without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension or cause other serious cardiac problems like worsening of angina.
- Avoid taking grapes or grape juice when on felodipine.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Cimetidine( anti histamine)
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Anti convulsants like carbamazepine, phenytoin
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Anti fungal like itraconazole, Fluconazole
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Felodipine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- History of heart failure or heart attack within 1mnth
- Diseases of blood vessel like aortic stenosis, coronary artery disease,
Do not take felodipine if you are allergic to it.
Pregnant woman: Felodipine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that felodipine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether felodipine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take felodipine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Other: Avoid taking grape fruit or juices when on felodipine.
Felodipine is available in the for of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Felodipine are
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Slurred speech
- Light headedness, fainting
- Fast or slow irregular heartbeat.
Felodipine may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Chest pain, breathing difficulty,
- Palpitations, Irregular heart beat
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes, skin)
- Unusually fast or slow pulse
Store felodipine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Never stop Felodipine abruptly without consulting your doctor as it causes rebound hypertension and worsening of angina or attack of MI.
- Felodipine causes gum swelling. Maintain good oral hygiene by regularly brushing & flossing your teeth.
- Felodipine causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Therefore when dizzy do not drive or get involve in activity which requires you to be alert.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Felodipine.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012