What should I know before taking this drug?
Additional information if any
Eletriptan is pronounced as: EL e TRIP tan
Eletriptan is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Eletriptan belongs to group of drugs called selective serotonin receptor agonist
Eletriptan is used to treat acute migraine attack. Eletriptan does not prevent future migraine attacks.
- Take eletriptan exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand the instructions on the prescription ask your pharmacist to explain them to you. If leaflet is available read it before you start taking the eletriptan.
- Eletriptan should be taken at the first sign of migraine attack or it is progressing. Do not take eletriptan with out having the migraine symptoms; it can not be used to prevent the migraine attack.
- If it is the first time you are using the eletriptan take it in doctors office. If you do not get the relief with the first dose take the second dose after two hours of taking the first dose only with the doctor’s advice.
Children: safety and efficacy of eletriptan is not confirmed in children. Eletriptan should not be used in children less than 18 years old.
Older people: Eletriptan should be cautiously used in older people as they more sensitive to adverse effects of it.
Pregnant women: Eletriptan belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that eletriptan may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether eletriptan passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take eletriptan with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Other: Do not use eletriptan if you are suffering from any cardiovascular disease like heart attack, angina pectoris (chest pain).
Do not take the eletriptan if you have already taken any other anti migraine drugs in last 24 hours.
The following are the side effects for eletriptan
Store eletriptan at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Eletriptan cause drowsiness, dizziness, does not drive or operate machine while you are taking eletriptan.
- Eletriptan can not be used as prophylactic, it only cure the migraine which is already started.
- Inform the doctor if you are on anti depressants like fluoxetine, citalopram
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any additional information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: April 04, 2012