What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Demeclocycline is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Demeclocycline is pronounced as: dem e kloe SYE kleen
Demeclocycline is an anti infective / antibacterial drug.
Demeclocycline is used in the treatment of
- Atypical pneumonia and also
- In the management of chronic hyponatremia in Syndrome of Inappropriate AntiDiuretic Hormone (SIADH) secretion
- Take demeclocycline exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of demeclocycline on empty stomach 1hr before or 2hrs after meals with 1 glass of water at regular intervals as prescribed by your doctor.
- Use it regularly even though there is slow improvement in your condition, as it may take up to 2-4wks to show the desired result.
- If you are using this medication for SIADH, you will notice increase in amount of urine in 5-7 days. Inform your doctor if the condition worsens or persists
- Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better.
- You must complete the entire course of medication to get maximum benefit; else the infection will not clear completely and in due course result in development of resistance.
- Always check the date of expiry before using this medication as it can cause fatal damage to the kidneys if used past expiry date,
- Inform your doctor if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- Oral anticoagulants(warfarin)
- Penicillin antibiotics(ampicillin,amoxicillin, bacampicillin)
- Cholesterol lowering drugs like cholestyramine
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as demeclocycline should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
Do not use the medication if you are allergic ( rash, itching, difficult in breathing, swelling of face, lips) to demeclocycline or any other similar drugs like doxycycline, minocycline, tetra cycline.
Children: Demeclocycline should not be used in children less than 8yrs as it can affect their growth and cause permanent discoloration of teeth.
Pregnant woman: demeclocycline belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that demeclocycline can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use demeclocycline with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Demeclocycline passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use demeclocycline with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Avoid taking dairy product when on demeclocycline medication as it decreases its absorption.
Do not take antacids, iron supplements, mineral supplements containing zinc with demeclocycline medication as it decreases its absorption. However you may take it 2 hrs before or 6hrs after taking demeclocycline medication
Demeclcycline is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
For detailed dosage information, consult your doctor who will prescribe you depending on the severity of the disease.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Demeclocycline are
Demeclocycline may causes following side effects like
- Vaginal itching and discharge
- Sores in the genital and rectal area
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes peeling of skin, blistering etc
- Severe diarrhoea associated with bloody stools
- Jaundice( yellowing of eyes and skin)
- Decrease in amount of urine passed
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Extreme fatigue , paleness
- Severe pain in the upper abdomen
Store demeclocycline at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Demeclocycline sensitizes the skin to sunlight. Avoid prolong exposure or uses long sleeved clothing and sunscreen (SPF-15) when you go out in sun.
- Discard the leftover or expired demeclocycline immediately. Use of expired medicine may lead to severe kidney damage.
- Demeclocycline make oral contraceptive less effective. Use second method of contraceptive like condoms.
- Antibiotics usually cause mild diarrhoea. Consult your doctor immediately if it is severe, associated with mucus or bloody stools, as it could be sign of new infection or pseudomembranous colitis.
- When used for long duration, your doctor may ask you to undergo laboratory test like complete cell count, liver function test, Renal function test to look for possible side effects.
- If you are planning to undergo any surgery inform your surgeon regarding the use of demeclocycline medication.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: November 15, 2011