What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Brinaldix tab (Novartis Pharma)
Clopamide is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Clopamide is pronounced as: kloe-pa-myde
Clopamide is a Thiazide diuretic which helps in removing fluid from the body. Hence, it’s also known as “water-pill”.
Clopamide is used in treatment of hypertension & excessive fluid retention as in cardiac failure, cirrhosis, chronic renal failure, Nephrotic syndrome, Cushing’s disease.
- Take clopamide exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take clopamide on empty stomach 15 min before meals with one full glass of water.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking clopamide without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulpha drugs like sulphamethoxazole etc as it may cause allergic reaction in these patients also.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Allopurinol (anti gout drug)
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Corticosteroids like prednisone
- Insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Clopamide should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Anuria( passing no urine at all)
- Addison’s disease
Old people: Caution is advised due renal and hepatic impairment.
Pregnant woman: Clopamide belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that clopamide is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether clopamide passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take clopamide with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Clopamide is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Clopamide are
- Very dry mouth , increased thirst
Clopamide may cause following side effects
- Decrease in sexual interest
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Numbness & tingling sensation
- Extreme weakness, drowsiness, irritability
How do I store clopamide?
Store clopamide at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Clopamide causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence a void alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
- Your doctor may prescribe potassium supplement along with clopamide medication as it depletes potassium from the body. Do not increase or decrease the dose without your doctor’s advice
- Regular monitoring of body electrolyte is required when on clopamide to look for side effects.
- Clopamide sensitizes the skin to sunlight. Avoid prolong exposure to sunlight or wear long sleeved clothing& use sunscreen when you go out in sun.
- If you are diabetic on clopamide, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking clopamide.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: November 17, 2011