Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Clincin cap (Indi Pharma)
Dalacin C cap (Max)
Clindamycin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Clindamycin is pronounced as: klin da MYE sin
Clindamycin is an anti infective / antibacterial drug.
Clindamycin is used in the treatment of
- As prophylaxis in bacterial endocarditis and
- Other serious anaerobic infections
- Take clindamycin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of clindamycin with or without food with 1 glass of water at regular intervals as prescribed by your doctor.
- When used as topical ointment first clean & dry the affected area before application. Wash your hands thoroughly after application.
- Use it regularly even though there is slow improvement in your condition, as it may take up to 2-4wks to show the desired result.
- Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better.
- You must complete the entire course of medication to get maximum benefit; else the infection will not clear completely and in due course result in development of resistance.
- Inform your doctor if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like erythromycin.
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as Clindamycin should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Intestinal diseases like colitis , crohns disease
- History of atopy e.g. hay fever, asthma
Do not take clindamycin if you are allergic (rash, itching, breathing problem and swelling of face) to it or licomycin.
Do not take clindamycin while you are taking erythromycin.
Children: Use clindamycin with extreme caution in neonates and infants as the risk of side effects is more.
Pregnant woman: Clindamycin belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that clindamycin is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether clindamycin passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take clindamycin with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Other: Special precaution is required if you have GI disease like inflammatory bowel disease ex: crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis.
Clindamycin is available as capsule, injection, topical ointment and gel. Your doctor will prescribe them depending on the severity of the disease
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
For detailed dosage information, consult your doctor who will prescribe you depending on the severity of the disease.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of clindamycin are not known.
Clindamycin may cause side effects like
- Vaginal itching and discharge
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes peeling of skin, blistering etc
- Severe diarrhoea associated with bloody stools
- Jaundice( yellowing of eyes and skin)
- Decrease in amount of urine passed
Store clindamycin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Antibiotics usually cause mild diarrhoea. Consult your doctor immediately if it is severe, associated with mucus or bloody stools, as it could be sign of new infection or pseudomembranous colitis.
- When used for long duration, your doctor may ask you to undergo laboratory test like complete cell count, liver function test, Renal function test to look for possible side effects.
If you are planning to undergo any surgery inform your surgeon regarding the use of clindamycin medication.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: November 13, 2011