What should I know before taking this drug
Cinnarizine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Cinnarizine is used for following purpose
- Treatment and Prevention of Motion sickness
- Symptomatic relief in Peripheral vascular disease
- Vomiting in Meniere’s disease
- Middle ear diseases
How to use cinnarizine
- Take cinnarizine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take cinnarizine with meal with a full glass of water to avoid gastric upset.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking cinnarizine without consulting your doctor.
Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as cinnarizine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Renal impairment
- Parkinson’s disease
When not to take cinnarizine
Children: cinnarizine should not be given to children and neonates.
Pregnant woman: Cinnarizine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that cinnarizine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether cinnarizine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take cinnarizine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
What about if I missed the dose of cinnarizine
Cinnarizine may cause following side effects
If any of the about symptoms become worse consult you doctor especially the extra pyramidal symptoms like extreme restless ness, involuntary movements or uncontrollable speech.
Store cinnarizine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Cinnarizine can cause dizziness. When affected do not drive or operate heavy machinery and avoid alcohol.
- If you planning to undergo skin test for allergies, inform your doctor prior to the test as cinnarizine may have to be stopped for at least 48hrs before the test as it may give false report.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: April 3, ,2012