What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Stiloz tab (Glenmark (Majesta))
Pencil tab (Cadila)
Cilostazol is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Cilostazol is pronounced as: sil OS tah zol
Cilostazol is a cardiovascular / peripheral vasodilator.
Cilostazol is used for symptomatic relief of Leg pain due to walking (intermittent Claudication) in disorder of blood circulation ( Peripheral Vascular disease).
It is also used along with other drugs to prevent clot formation in the stents.
- Take cilostazol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take cilostazol on empty stomach 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meal with a full glass of water to avoid gastric upset.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking cilostazol without consulting your doctor.
- Avoid eating grape fruit and drink grape juices when on cilostazol medication.
- Cilostazol may take up to 4-12 weeks to show its beneficial effects. However continue to take the medication regularly and consult your doctor if your symptoms do not improve even after 1 month.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Omperazole (gastric medication)
- Antifungal like ketoconazole, Itraconazole
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Clarithromycin
- Other blood thinning medication like aspirin, warfarin, Ticlopidine
- Antihypertensives like diltiazem
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Cilostazol should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bleeding disorder
- Liver disease
- Renal impairment
- History of QT prolongation or ventricular arrhythmias
Cilostazol should not be used if you have history of congestive heart failure.
Pregnant woman: Cilostazol belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that cilostazol may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether cilostazol passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take cilostazol with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Cilostazol is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Cilostazol are
- Rapid irregular heart rate
- Severe headache
Cilostazol may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Chest pain , rapid irregular heart rate
- Painful urination, passing blood in the urine
- Oedema in the feet and ankles
- Flu-like symptoms , fever with chills, body pains
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Store cilostazol at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Avoid eating grape fruit and drink grape juices when on cilostazol medication. As it can lead to life threatening cardiac arrhythmias.
- Inform your doctor or dentist regarding Cilostazol medication prior to any procedure.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your progress and for lab test (liver function test, blood tests) to look for possible side effects of Cilostazol.
- Smoking can worsen the intermittent claudication pain. Quit smoking for improving the symptoms and your overall health.
- Regular moderate exercise helps in improving the blood circulation and pain relief. Consult your doctor regarding the type of exercise suitable for you.
- Eat a healthy low fat diet as cholesterol deposition in the arteries (atherosclerosis) may decrease the blood flow and worsen the symptoms.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: April 3 , 2012