What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Thalizide tab (IPCA)
Hythalton tab (SPPL)
Chlortalidone is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Chlortalidone is pronounced as:klor-tale-e-done
Chlortalidone is a diuretic and antihypertensive drug.
Chlortalidone is used in the management of
- To reduce oedema due to nephrotic syndrome, cirrhosis etc
- Take chlortalidone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of chlortalidone preferably with meals to avoid gastric upset.
- Take plenty of oral fluids when on chlortalidone.
- Chlortalidone may increase the amount of urine or may increase the frequency to urinate more often. Therefore take chlortalidone preferably during daytime to avoid waking up during night for urination.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking chlortalidone without consulting your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulpha drugs like sulphamethoxazole, Sulphonamides etc as it may cause allergic reaction in these patients also.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Anti cancer drugs
- oral anticoagulants like warfarin
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as chlortalidone should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Severe renal impairement
- Anuria (no urine at all)
- Addison’s disease
- Electrolyte disturbance
- Congestive heart failure
Do not take chlortalidone if you are suffering from hepatic or renal impairment.
Pregnant woman: Chlortalidone belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that chlortalidone is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether chlortalidone passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take chlortalidone with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Chlortalidone is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
Chlortalidone may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes, skin)
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Decrease in the amount of urine passed
- Confusion, lethargy, restlessness
Store chlortalidone at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Chlortalidone causes dizziness. Hence avoid alcohol which may worsen this side effects and activities which requires you to be alert like driving, operating heavy machinery etc.
- Regular monitoring of body electrolytes, complete blood cell counts, lipid profile, is required when on chlortalidone to look for side effects.
- If you are diabetic on chlortalidone, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels.
- Inform you surgeon or dentist prior to undergoing any planned procedure regarding chlortalidone medication as it may increase the side effects due to anaesthetic drugs.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team