Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Megatil inj (Intas)
Relitil tab (Reliance)
Chlorpromazine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Chlorpromazine is pronounced as: klor-PROE-ma-zeen
Chlorpromazine is an anti psychotic medication belonging to phenothiazine group of drugs.
Chlorpromazine is used in the treatment of following condition
- Take chlorpromazine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of chlorpromazine preferably with meals to avoid gastric upset.
- Take chlorpromazine at regular intervals as advised by your doctor for it to be effective.
- Chlorpromazine may take up to 2-3 wks to show its beneficial effects. However continue to take it as advised.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor as it may lead to drug- dependence.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Chlorpromazine without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Always remember Oral anticoagulant like warfarin
- Dieuretics like furosemide etc
- Anti histamine like terfenadine, Astemizole
- Anti convulsants like phenytoin. Phenobarbitone, carbamazepine
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Anti hypertensive’s or other heart medication
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Chlorpromazine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bone marrow depression
- Benign hyperplasia of prostate
- Pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumour)
- Seizure disorder
- Myasthenia gravis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
Do not use chlorpromazine if you are intoxicated with alcohol or if you have taken CNS depressants like barbiturates or narcotic drugs.
Old people: Chlorpromazine should be used cautiously in older people as they more prone for side effects like muscle stiffness, involuntary movements etc
Pregnant woman: Chlorpromazine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that chlorpromazine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether chlorpromazine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take chlorpromazine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Other: Avoid alcohol as it may increase side effects due to Chlorpromazine.
Chlorpromazine is available as injection and tablet. Your doctor will prescribe it depending on the condition.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Chlorpromazine include
Chlorpromazine may cause following side effects
- Giddiness when changing posture
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Uncontrolled movements of the hands, legs, tongue, face
- Tremors. Jerking movements or stiffness
- Suicidal thoughts, depression
- Breast enlargement in men
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin eyes)
Store chlorpromazine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Chlorpromazine may cause dizziness when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Use precaution while changing posture to avoid falling down.
- Avoid getting dehydrated or extreme heat as chlorpromazine may increase the risk of having heat stroke. Take plenty of oral fluids in hot weather and during exercise
- Chlorpromazine causes giddiness, drowsiness and visual disturbances as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks.
- Chlorpromazine may rarely cause a group of symptoms called as Neuroleptic Malignant syndrome characterised by difficulty in swallowing, Muscle stiffness, rapid heart rate, visual disturbances, etc, stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor.
- Inform your doctor and dentist regarding Chlorpromazine medication prior to any planned procedure.
- Regular monitoring of your liver function test and eye examination is required when on this medication to look for possible side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last Updated: Jun16, 2011