What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Celiprolol is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Celiprolol is pronounced as: sel-i-proh-lol
Celiprolol is a cardiovascular / cardio selective beta blocker.
Celiprolol is used in the treatment of
- Take Celiprolol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take celiprolol with a full glass of water.
- Take celiprolol on empty stomach1hr before or 2 hrs after meal at the same time every day to avoid forgetting.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking celiprolol without consulting your doctor.
- Celiprolol should be tapered gradually over a period of weeks, stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension or cause other serious cardiac problems like worsening of angina.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs like methyl dopa
- Anti migraine drugs like ergotamine
- Anti Tubercular drug –Rifampicin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as celiprolol should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bronchial asthma
- Thyroid disorder
- Pheochromocytoma( adrenal tumour)
- History of heart failure or heart attack within 1mnth
- Slow pulse rate with heart block
- Liver or kidney disease
Celiprolol should not used in hypersensitive patients and the patients who have heart block or irregular heart beat.
Celiprolol belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that celiprolol is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
2nd and 3rd trimester
Celiprolol belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that celiprolol can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use celiprolol with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Celiprolol passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use celiprolol with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Celiprolol should not be if you are suffering from asthma and if you are breast feeding the baby.
Celiprolol is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of celiprolol are
- Oedema of feet and ankles
Celiprolol may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Oedema in both the feet, unusual weight gain
- Chest pain, breathing difficulty,
- Palpitations, Irregular heart beat
- Tingling & numbness in extremities
- Cold clammy toes and fingers
Store celiprolol at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Never stop celiprolol abruptly without consulting your doctor as it causes rebound hypertension and worsening of angina orattack of MI.
- If you are a diabetic on celiprolol medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels as it may cause hypoglycemia and mask its symptoms.
- Strictly avoid alcohol when on celiprolol medication as it increases its side effects
- Inform your surgeon or dentist prior to any planned procedure regarding Celiprolol medication as it may increase the side effects of anaesthetic drugs.
- It causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Therefore when dizzy do not drive or get involve in activity which requires you to be alert.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking celiprolol.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet,quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last modified: May 31, 2011