Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Blastoplatin (Chandra Bhagat Pharma)
Carboplatin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Carboplatin is pronounced as: car-boe-PLATT-in
Carboplatin is an anti cancer drug.
Carboplatin is used to treat ovarian cancer.
- Take carboplatin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Carboplatin is usually given by injection to vein by your doctor who is specialized in cancer treatment.
- Carboplatin should be inspected visually for particulate matter prior to administration. Preparations of carboplatin containing visibly opaque particles should not be used.
- Carboplatin is mixed with the suitable solution and given by iv infusion.
- Do not use the carboplatin in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor or do not stop taking the medication with out consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently taking any OTC drugs or prescription drugs like
- Amino glycoside antibiotic like streptomycin, kanamycin
- Anticonvulsants like hydantoin, phenytoin
- Anti coagulants like warfarin
- This may not be the complete list of drugs interact with carboplatin, ask your pharmacist if any other drugs interact with this medication.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions as carboplatin should be cautiously used.
- Kidney problems and liver problem
- Blood disorder or bleeding problems
Do not take carboplatin if you are allergic to it.
Do not take carboplatin if you are suffering from anemia, bone marrow depression, and you have low platelet count.
Old people: Carboplatin should be cautiously used in older people as they are more prone to side effects.
Pregnant woman: Carboplatin belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that carboplatin can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use carboplatin with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Carboplatin passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use carboplatin with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: If you have vomiting and if it become severe see the doctor. Your doctor may suggest the medication to control the vomiting.
Carboplatin is available in the form of injection.
Use carboplatin as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses of carboplatin at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose of carboplatin contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The following are the side effects you may experience with carboplatin
This is not the complete list of side effects if you experience any other side effects discuss with your doctor or pharmacist.
If you experience any of the following side affects stop the carboplatin medication and consult your doctor immediately
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Allergic reactions like chest congestion, swelling of face and lips
Store carboplatin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Laboratory tests like complete blood count and kidney functions tests need to perform to monitor the progress of disease and side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: healthplus24 team