Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Balderm (Bal pharma)
Betamethasone is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Betamethasone is pronounced as: BAY-ta-METH-a-sone
Betamethasone is used to treat the following conditions
- Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, multiple sclerosis
- Certain cancer conditions
- Take betamethasone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take betamethasone with food.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking betamethasone without consulting your doctor.
Always remember to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently taking any OTC drugs or prescription drugs like ,Phenobarbitol, carbamazepine, ketoconazole, rifampicine
This may not be the complete list of drugs interact with betamethasone, ask your pharmacist if any other drugs interact with this medication.
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions as betamethasone should be cautiously used.
- Viral, bacterial and fungal infections
- If you are recently got a vaccination.
Do not take betamethasone
- If you are allergic to it or any other corticosteroids like prednisone
- If you are having fungal infection
Children: Betamethasone should not be used in infants and can be used in children with extreme caution. Betamethasone can affect the children growth.
Betamethasone belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that betamethasone can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use betamethasone with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Betamethasone belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that betamethasone may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether betamethasone passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take betamethasone with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Betamethasone is available in the form of tablet, ointment, cream, drops, injection. Your doctor will prescribe depending on the severity and condition of the disease.
Use betamethasone as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses of betamethasone at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose of betamethasone contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The following are the over dosage symptoms for betamethasone
- Drowsiness, loss of consciousness
- Low blood sugar, low blood pressure
The following are the side effects for betamethasone
- Weight gain, increased appetite
If you experience any of the following side affects stop the betamethasone medication and consult your doctor immediately
- Increased skin sensitivity
How do I store betamethasone?
Store betamethasone at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Prolonged period of use betamethasone cause dependence. Do not stop using suddenly as it causes withdrawal symptoms.
- Betamethasone lower your immune system. Avoid contact with the people who have the cold or infection.
- Do not take live vaccine while you are taking the betamethasone.
- To avoid osteoporosis while taking betamethasone take enough calcium, vitamin D and avoid smoking and alcohol
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team