Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Adenocor inj (Torrent)
Adenoject inj (Sun (Inca))
Adenosine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Adenosine is pronounced as: a-DEN-oh-seen
Adenosine is a cardiovascular agent belongs to a class of an anti arrhythmic drug.
Adenosine is used for treating and differentiating Supraventricular tachycardia’s (a rhythm disturbance of heart) and in cardiac imaging for diagnosis of coronary artery disease.
- Adenosine is available as injection. It should be administered under medical supervision with provision for cardiac monitoring.
- Adenosine should be inspected visually for particulate matter prior to administration. Preparations of adenosine containing visibly opaque particles should not be used.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Adenosine without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- If you miss the dose contact your doctor immediately.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Carbamazepine (anticonvulsant)
- Verapamil (calcium channel blocker)
- Theophyllines ( anti asthma medication)
- Dipyridamole (antianginal drug)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Adenosine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- History of heart block without pacemaker
- Sinus node disease without pacemaker
- Do not use adenosine if you are hypersensitive to any ingredient in adenosine
- Do not use the adenosine if you have 2nd or 3rd degree heart block unless you have artificial pacemaker.
- Do not use adenosine if you have sick sinus syndrome unless you have artificial pace maker.
Pregnant woman: Adenosine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that adenosine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether adenosine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take adenosine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Other: Adenosine causes dizziness when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
Avoid caffeine containing products like coffee, tea, colas as these decreases the efficacy of adenosine.
Adenosine is available in the form of injection.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician. The overdose symptoms of Adenosine are
- Rapid or slow Irregular heartbeat
- Extreme weakness
Adenosine may cause following side effects
- Tingling sensation in the arms
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Rapid or irregular heart rate
Store adenosine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Close monitoring is required to check the progress and side effects.
- If you experience unusual heart beat or chest pain inform your doctor immediately.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Adenosine.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last Updated: July 8, 2011