Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Acitrom tab (Piramal HC)
Acenocoumarol is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Acenocoumarol is pronounced as: a-see-no-COOM-a-rol
Acenocoumarol is an oral anticoagulant drug used to prevent formation of blood clot within blood vessels.
- Prevention of clot formation in high risk patients eg. rheumatic heart disease, atrial fibrillation, after insertion of artificial heart valves.
- Treatment and prevention of deep vein thrombosis.
- Treatment and prevention of Pulmonary embolism.
- Take acenocoumarol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take acenocoumarol at regular intervals with one glass of water.
- Avoid taking antacids together with acenocoumarol as it decreases its absorption. However you may take it 1 hr before or 2 hrs after taking the medication.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Oral hypoglycaemic drugs like Glibenclamide etc
- Antibiotics like cotrimoxazole, cephalosporins, erythromycins etc
- Antiarrythmic drugs like Amiodarone, quinidine
- Allopurinol ( anti gout drug)
- NSAIDs like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Naproxen etc
- Anticoagulants like heparin, warfarin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions, as acenocoumarol should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Acid peptic disease
- Bacterial endocarditis
- Recent (within 6 wks) history of active internal bleeding from any part of the body
- Clotting or blood disorders
- High blood pressure
- Liver or renal disease
When not to take acenocoumarol
Acenocoumarol should not be taken in haemorrhage conditions and during pregnancy.
What are the precautions I should follow for acenocoumarol?
Pregnant woman: Acenocoumarol belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that acenocoumarol may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether acenocoumarol passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take acenocoumarol with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
- Eat a normal balanced diet. Do not make sudden changes in your eating habits as some foods may decrease the effectiveness of acenocoumarol.
- Avoid consumption of large quantities of alcohol as it may decrease Acenocoumarol effectiveness.
- Avoid cuts and wounds when brushing and shaving. Therefore uses soft brush and floss your teeth cautiously to avoid bleedings.
Acenocoumarol is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
Acenocoumarol may cause following side effects
- Hair loss
- Liver damage
- Loss of appetite
- Generalised body pains
- Nausea & vomitings
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Blood in the sputum or nasal bleed
- Prolonged bleeding from wound
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes).
Store acenocoumarol at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Regular monitoring of clotting test like prothrombin time (PT) along with INR (International normalized ratio) will be required when on acenocoumarol medication to look for possible side effects.
- When on acenocoumarol medication limit your physical activities and playing outdoor sports to avoid injury as the risk of bleeding is more.
- Inform your doctor or dentist regarding acenocoumarol medication prior to any procedure.
- If you are a diabetic and using acenocoumarol keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels as it may cause hypoglycaemia.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any bleeding form unusual sites.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: April 3, 2012