How does HCG diet work?
A certain number of HCG injections are given daily to a patient looking forward to shed some weight. The plan could last for only 9 days or maximum for 6 weeks. HCG injections raise levels of HCG hormone in your blood and with this activity, your appetite is suppressed. The same effect is pronounced in both males and females. HCG shots or injections are the only FDA approved products that work effectively. Over the counter HCG products like oral drops, pellets, sprays, etc. are neither FDA approved nor do they promote weight loss.
The diet protocol, apart from injections also urges you to be strictly on very low calorie diet (VLCD) menu, which is as low as 500 calories in a day. Since your appetite is suppressed, you can easily sustain on eating such small amount of food. Thus, weight loss is a combined result of HCG shots and 500 calorie diet plan.
What to eat being on HCG diet?
The best way to know the HCG diet is to read the plan presented by none other doctor but Dr. Simeons in his book, “Pounds and Inches”. It is the original version of the 500 calorie VLCD menu. We have picked up the excerpt from Dr. Simeons’ manuscript. Have a look.
Tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Saccharin or Stevia may be used.
1. 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken breast must be removed from the bird.
2. One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
3. One breadstick (grissino) or one Melba toast.
4. An apple, orange, or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit.
The same four choices as lunch.
Drinks and Seasonings allowed on the hCG Diet based on Dr Simeons original HCG diet protocol as written in “Pounds and Inches”.
- Juice of one lemon daily is allowed for all purposes.
- Salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme, majoram, etc., can be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
- Tea, coffee, plain water, or mineral water (2 liters of water per day is recommended) are the only drinks allowed, but they may be taken in any quantity and at all times.
- The fruit or the breadstick may be eaten between meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but not more than four items listed for lunch and dinner may be eaten at one meal.
Pros and Cons of HCG diet
- Weight loss is guaranteed with HCG diet comprising of shots and VLCD
- HCG hormone protects you from losing muscle mass while you diet
- Being on such a low calorie diet is not advised in the long run, you are likely to become malnourished and immensely weak
- Some people experience side effects of HCG hormone which include headache, depression, constipation, male breasts enlargement, etc.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: July 02, 2014