Alternative Treatment for Gum Disease
Gum disease which is medically coined as periodontitis can be taken care of with alternative treatment options like natural remedies, until and unless a surgery or dental treatment is inevitable. The home therapies or herbal treatments not only cure the infection and inflammation but also improve your oral health.
If you notice swelling, redness, bleeding, plaque deposits, etc. in the oral cavity, then you can resort to the following alternate remedies to protect yourself from some serious dental issues.
Ensure oral hygiene
Taking proper care of your teeth and gum is the first step to healing a gum disease. So how do you do that?
- Brush your teeth twice (morning and after last meal) with a fluoride based toothpaste with a soft toothbrush. Move your toothbrush in circular motion. Brush for 2 minutes, then scrape your tongue. Floss between your teeth once a day.
- Avoid using alcoholic mouthwashes. Instead you can use warm water mixed with sea salt. Swish it inside your mouth and spit out. Do it several times in day to get rid of swollen gums and infections.
- Get your teeth cleaned from a dentist to remove plaque and tartar deposits every 6 months.
Take compress with tea bags
If you are suffering from ailing gum and teeth, then taking compress with moist tea bag would relieve you from the discomfort. Soak a tea bag in water and compress it directly over your gum. Let your gums soak in for some time. The healing action is brought about by tannic acid contained in tea leaves.
Nutritional support for your teeth and gums
A nutritious diet slows down progression of gum disease. You must eat foods rich in plant flavonoids, minerals like zinc, copper, selenium and calcium and vitamins- especially vitamin A, C (citrus fruits and melons), D, and E (almonds, salmon). Include probiotics and foods rich in antioxidants (green tea, mushrooms, ginger, carrots, etc.) to strengthen your gums and reduce inflammation.
Healing gum disease with Ayurveda
You can also consider getting an Ayurvedic treatment for gum disease. Plenty of herbs exist that offer wonderful cure for gum inflammation, tooth decay and other types of dental disorders. To name a few they are gotu kola, licorice, aloe vera, turmeric, Dipsacus or teasel root, horsetail, astragalus, etc. You can also rinse your gum with aloe vera, rosemary and Echinacea to keep gum diseases at the bay.
Herbal rinses for gum diseases
We have listed down the best herbal rinses for healing gum infections:
- Rinse your mouth with tea tree, eucalyptus, clove, cinnamon and peppermint oil
- Prepare a mouthwash with dried herbs- sage, basil and thyme. Steep them in boiling water and strain. Cool the solution and use it as mouthwash
- Swish your mouth with burdrock solution. Prepare it by steeping 1 teaspoon of dry burdock root in a cup of boiling water
Apply paste of lemon juice and salt
Juice out a lemon and make a paste by adding salt to it. Cover your teeth and gums with this paste for few minutes. Make sure you do not swallow it. Rinse your mouth with plain water. Lemon and salt increase immunity of your gums.
Try the aforementioned home remedies until you notice improvement. However, the most significant point is- your oral hygiene and nutrition. Last but not the least, for quicker effects you need to give up tobacco and cut on sugars.
Date last updated: January 17, 2015