Healthy and sparkling teeth give you confidence to smile while on the other side if your teeth are unclean and you have bad breadth then it’s quite obvious for your partner, friends and peers to hesitate sharing food or have any kind of close encounter with your mouth. That’s embarrassing, isn’t it? Well, so follow the tips below to have healthy teeth...
Start taking care early
Don’t wait for the damage to be done. Start taking care of your teeth early. Also teach your kids the right way to brushing and flossing. You need to follow the regimen explained below to insure the health of your teeth and gum.
- Brush twice a day i.e. morning and after your last meal. Floss every day.
- Make sure that you spend 2 minutes brushing all the four quadrants of your teeth, both front and back with equal care.
- Use a soft bristled tooth brush and follow a circular motion to while brushing. Do not rub your brush sideways.
- You can use OTC alcohol free mouth rinse to purify your breath.
- Change your toothbrush 3-4 times in a year.
Foods to cut down to avoid staining and disease
Sugar is your tooth’s enemy. The caution is especially meant for kids. Consumption of too much sugar rich products like chocolates, cookies, cakes, etc. make your tooth vulnerable to infection and decay.
- Cut down consumption of alcohol, sugary drinks, soft drinks, and similar other products to safeguard your teeth against gingivitis.
- Red wine, coffee, tea, beetle nuts, cigarettes, etc. contribute to staining of teeth. If you want sparkling white teeth, then you have to minimize intake of these.
Include “tooth-smart” foods in your diet
Certain foods are naturally blessed with antimicrobial properties which protect your teeth against damage and decay. Opt for calcium and phosphorous enriched foods like milk, cheese, nuts, salmon, etc. Citrus fruits do not harm your tooth but it is advised to consume them along with your meal. You can have apples and guavas instead to restore health of your teeth and gums.
Choice of toothpaste
Choosing the right kind of toothpaste is also important. Look for the following ingredients.
- Fluoride is the secret to strong enamel. Always use fluoride based toothpastes.
- Salt is another ingredient that has anti bacterial properties, so it also helps.
- If you are going herbal, then check out if the product has cloves, babool, neem or peppermint in them.
- Use the specific toothpaste as directed by your doctor if you are wearing oral ornaments or have a problem.
Herbal remedies for healthy teeth
You can always try these home remedies additionally to further maintain health of your teeth
- Take half spoon of salt and mix with lemon juice. Take a guava leaf (optional) to dab in that paste to cleanse your teeth with your fingers.
- Keep some herbal mouth rinses in handy. You can boil some peppermint and neem leaves together in water. Cool it and then use it to rinse your mouth.
- Chew cloves and cardamom occasionally to avoid infections and toothache.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: October 14, 2014