Natural remedies for canker sores
Canker sores are difficult to ignore. They are small white ulcers that show up in the soft parts of inside of the mouth like the inner membrane of the cheek, below the gum and the tongue. The lesions are normally not painful but cause a great deal of irritation, burning and interference while eating, chewing and drinking.
Some individuals have cancer sores every now and often and therefore, the home remedies must be known to get relief from the pain and speed their healing.
Prepare a mouth rinse at home
- Take a cup of warm water and mix a tablespoon of salt. Stir it and rinse you mouth several times with this solution. Now take a pinch of salt on your fingertip and place it over the canker sores for some time. Yes, it will pain and burn for sometime but it will heal the sores very fast.
- Juice out some fresh aloe vera (has natural anti-inflammatory properties) and wash your mouth with the juice for a few times. Take a pinch of baking soda and place it over the sores for a few minutes. You can also apply the fresh pulp of aloe vera directly over the sores.
- Prepare a mouth rise with grape fruit seed extract. You can mix a few drops of it in warm water to wash your mouth once in a day.
- Take half cup of marjoram leaves and pour boiling water over them. Cover it for 10 minutes and strain the water. Rinse your mouth with this. You can also substitute the leaves with a a few drops of marjoram oil.
- Mix 2-3 % of tea tree oil in one glass of water. Rinse your mouth with this solution. Tea tree oil’s antibacterial properties help in quick healing of canker sores.
- You can also boil some fresh leaves of coriander in water. Steep for some time and then strain the water. Rinse your mouth with this solution 2-3 times in a day.
- The licorice root extract can be boiled in water and stained; the process is same as preparing any other mouth rinse. Let it cool and then wash your mouth with it. You can also crush the root and apply it directly on the sores. The active ingredient glycyrrhizin has anti-inflammatory properties which bring about the healing effect.
Prepare a paste of baking soda
Mix baking soda with small amount of water to form a paste of desired consistency. Now keep the sores covered with this paste for some time. This would alleviate the pain quickly.
Plum juice compress
Soak a cotton ball in plum juice and compress the sores with it.
Apply ice directly over the sores
Ice soothes the sores. Take out some ice cubes from the refrigerator and place them directly over the sores. Do this several times in a day to get rid of the inflammation. Applying ice protects you from developing canker sores in the future.
Use alum on the sores
Caution- alum will cause a bit of burning just like salt. You can tolerate the initial pain for a few seconds to get quick benefits. You can place alum over the sores for a few minutes, twice a day and then rinse your mouth with cold water.
Take tea bag compress
Dip a tea bag in water and compress the sores with it. The tannic acid contained in tea leaves when comes in contact with the sores promote their healing. You can also use green tea or chamomile tea bag for this purpose.
Drink chamomile water
Boil few chamomile flowers in water. Steep for some time and then strain the water. Allow it to cool. Drink this water 2-3 times a day.
Apply a paste of honey and turmeric
Honey and turmeric both have excellent antiseptic properties that accelerate the healing process of canker sores. Mix one teaspoon of honey with 1/3rd teaspoon of turmeric. Apply the paste over the sores and leave on for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse with cold water.
Choose from any of those aforementioned home remedies to get considerable relief from canker sores in a short time.
Date last updated: January 17, 2015