Benefits of office yoga
Office yoga or corporate yoga is a vital part of wellness plan of many organizations. Lucky are those who work in such places as it’s a bonus for their health. However, not all corporate sectors have such plans, so it boils down to you to take care of your health while working.
Let’s begin with positive vibes for you so that you are motivated to kick off your office yoga session.
Have a look at the benefits of office yoga:
- Helps you to overcome day to day pain in back, legs, hands and other parts of your body
- Adds flexibility to your muscles and bones, especially neck and spine.
- A little bit of movement brings about utmost relaxation
- Boosts your productivity and self esteem, restores your mind-body balance and improves your focus, concentration and confidence
- Relieves you from eye strain as you stay away from the computer
- Refreshes your mind, frees you from headache and stress and enhances your happiness and vitality
- Office yoa sessions also strengthen bonds among employees and peers and helps to know each other better
Office Yoga Postures that you must try out
It’s well and good if your organization has already designed the sessions for you, otherwise you can squeeze out sometime barely 10 to 15 minutes to indulge in yoga.
Here’s all you need to do:
1. For your neck
Be seated. Turn your neck on the right-hand side and then left hand side and the next set will be up and down. Then rotate your neck slowly in the form of a circle in clockwise and anticlockwise direction. Repeat the exercises 5 times each.
- Now stand up and twist your body around your waist towards left and then towards right 5 times. You can also perform this while sitting on your chair.
- The next yoga technique is bending. So bend forward and rest your left hand palm on the floor and release your right hand straight in the air. Raise your head to look up at your raised hand. Repeat the same posture with the other hand.
Dedicate at least 5 minutes to stretching your whole body. Try the following yoga stretches:
- The cow stretch is very relaxing and you must try it. Be seated on your chair and bend your head towards your stomach. Now interlace your fingers from behind, stretch your hands upwards (without overdoing) while bending.
- The next yoga is for your arms. Rotate them sidewise and then stretch them forward. Following this, raise your left arm and touch your right ear from over your head and vice versa. Hold on for 5 seconds and repeat 2 sets.
- You should also give some time to stretching your legs. You can raise them in the front while sitting or get on standing and perform one set of lunges; this would be the best.
- Next is stretching your back. Stand up and place your hands on your hips. Gently bend your back from behind while looking up. Repeat this exercise 3-5 times
No yoga is complete without breathing and meditation. Your last 5 minutes of office yoga session should be relaxation. Be seated on your chair in a relaxed manner and breathe in and out keeping your eyes closed. You can chant “OM” in your mind without thinking anything.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: August 07, 2014