Natural wonder spinach
One of the most nutritious of all green leafy vegetables is spinach. It’s a gourmet food and you can easily have it to nourish your body with the all the goodness. When you eat spinach, you suffice yourself with almost all the essential vitamins and minerals, along with fibres needed to stay healthy.
Get the goodness of dietary fibre
No wonder it’s loaded with dietary fibres that help solve numerous health problems. When you eat spinach regularly, you receive the following health benefits:
- Regularizes bowels and eliminates constipation
- Lowers bad cholesterol in your body
- Prevents deposition of cholesterol inside arteries
- Protects inflammation of the heart
How iron makes you strong
Spinach is one of those foods that contain loads of iron. Having boiled spinach boosts haemoglobin levels in the body and hence must be present in the diet of people who suffer from dizziness, weakness, and anaemia.
Wonders that vitamins in spinach bring about
Spinach is a storehouse of vitamin A, C, folic acid, vitamin E and vitamin K. So have a look at the mixed bag of natural wonders of spinach.
- Vitamin C and vitamin A enhance immunity of the body. They combat a wide range of infections, improves cardiac health and sharpens eye sight
- Vitamin K maintains bone health. It protects breakdown of bones and prevents excessive deposition of calcium in the tissues. Vitamin K is also crucial for proper functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- Vitamin A protects the skin against acne, psoriasis, wrinkles and keratinisation.
- Folic acid aids synthesis of nucleic acids and blood cells while vitamin E nourishes your skin and hair.
Antioxidants and minerals in spinach have promising health benefits
The most abundantly occurring antioxidants in spinach are lutein and zeaxanthin- they are different forms of carotenoids. Spinach is also a storehouse of flavonoids, selenium, zinc and manganese, which are also antioxidants. All these compounds bring about many promising health benefits...
- Spinach is a detox food. The antioxidants eliminate free radicals and other harmful substances from your body and purify the blood
- Lutein and zeaxanthin improve vision and protect eyes from age related macular degeneration
- The antioxidants protect against a wide range of inflammatory diseases (bones, heart,), oxidative stress
- The phytonutrient, flavonoid plays a vital role in protecting the body against skin, stomach and prostate cancer.
Spinach manages diabetes and hypertension
It said that, “one cup of spinach contains 40 percent of your daily value of magnesium”, which is capable of regulating blood sugar levels. People with type 2 diabetes need magnesium to control sugar spike and nothing can beat spinach in this regard. Eating spinach regularly lowers high blood pressure
Spinach is an excellent zero calorie weight loss food
Looking for foods that are devoid of calories? Well, choose spinach then... You can eat it every day without gaining weight. Despite having no calories, the mineral dense leaves will keep your energetic and strong.
Good news for female folks
If you are experiencing bloating and those characteristic PMS symptoms, then have spinach during those days of the month. You will feel a way better.
Spinach is so yummy that you can have it any form- main course, appetizers, soups, and anything. Just avoid refrigerating and choose the baby leaves from supermarket.
Date last updated: January 29, 2015