Omega 3 fatty acids are those “good” fats that your body needs. Being one of the essential fatty acids, you need to supplement them adequately through natural resources. But why do you need omega- 3- fatty acids or why is it touted as a natural wonder?
We tell you here...
Definitely the most pronounced health benefit of omega 3 fatty acid namely eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA, is that on the heart. For this reason you can munch on some seeds and nuts like sunflower and pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, etc. The other way to receive omega-3-fatty acids is to cook your foods in olive oil, soybean oil, flaxseed oil or canola oil.
- Protect the heart against inflammatory diseases like atherosclerosis and oxidative damage
- Regulates blood circulation inside blood vessels
- Decreases LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Due to all the aforementioned reasons, it lowers risks of heart attack
DHA, docosahexaenoic acid, is the polyunsaturated omega 3 fatty acid that improves the functions of the brain directly. It helps in proper development of the brain right from childhood.
Essential fatty acids like DHA are important for eyes. It’s for this reason kids are encouraged to take variety of fishes (like salmon, trout, halibut, mackerel) rich in omega-3-fatty acids.
- Protects your eyes from toxin build up, which can cause loss of vision
- Contributes to better visual acuity for neo natal infants as well as children
- Improves drainage of intraocular fluid from the eyes. This reduces risk of having glaucoma and high eye pressure
- Protects you from age related macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome
Omega-3-fatty acids (EPA) play a crucial role in reducing inflammation throughout the body which could be the bones, joints, pancreas and liver. It protects your body from free radicals, which are capable of inducing cancer.
The sum up the benefits below:
- Protects your from arthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis
- It can not only control diabetes but can also decrease risk of having diabetes
- Lowers risk of having a wide range of cancers like that of bones, colon, pancreas, liver, etc.
Beauticians and dermatologists often recommend fish oil supplements enriched with omega-3-fatty acids for health of skin and hair. It adds lustre and shine to your complexion, strengthens the roots and increases density of hair.
Apart from these, it also protects your skin from infections like psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis and keeps your skin smooth and supple.
- Helps to gain better control over your mood. Uplifts mood, reduces depression and emotional stress
- Improves physiological process like nerve transmission, blood clotting, etc.
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) present in nuts, seeds, vegetables (kale, squash, spinach, lettuce), beans, sprouts and fish (salmon and sardine) boost your energy level
- Plays a key role in improving male fertility. It nourishes the sperm- improves motility and morphology
Check with your doctor how much omega-3-fatty acids you need daily and then plan your diet accordingly. Also take his/her advice before consuming supplements.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: March 13, 2014