Storehouse of vitamin C
We are all familiar with vitamin C and grapefruits are nature’s powerhouse of this wonder fruit. We list down the benefits that you receive from vitamin C loaded grapefruits.
- Vitamin C boosts your immunity. If you get infections, catch cold, suffer from allergy, are prone to viral infections and have respiratory symptoms, then you must eat the fruit on regular basis.
- Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant that protects your cells from toxicity and free radical damage. People who eat grapefruits daily are at reduced risk of having cancer in the long run.
- It’s due to the antioxidant property of grapefruit, that it finds so much application in skin care products. It protects your skin against acne, pimples, rashes, suntan and many more.
- Vitamin C protects your heart from external infections and inflammation
Grapefruits contains potassium which is good for your heart
100 grams of grapefruits contain around 135 mg of potassium, which helps you in the following ways:
- It is necessary for controlling salt balance so that your heart functions properly.
- Potassium also stabilizes your heartbeat
- Potassium enhances urinary function as it is a diuretic. It maintains electrolyte balance in your body and prevents dehydration
- Potassium is associated with improved brain function as it ensures adequate blood circulation to the brain
Natural wonders of pectin contained in grapefruits
Pectin is that dietary fibre loaded in grapefruit that helps you in many different ways. We explain the natural wonders below:
- Pectin is a natural laxative and helps in bulk formation. So if you have constipation problem, then eat grapefruits right away to sort it out.
- Pectin preserves the membranes of your colon by fighting off inflammation and infections
- Pectin is capable of controlling cholesterol by decreasing its re-absorption in the blood, thereby reducing risk of cardiovascular disease
Promising benefits of vitamin A and carotenoids
The bright orange colour of grapefruit is due to the presence of carotenoid pigment. Vitamin A and carotenoids occur in abundance in grapefruits which bring about the following health benefits:
- Eat grapefruits for healthy eyes. Vitamin A and carotenoid are vital for your eyes, they improve vision, protect your eyes from infection and age related macular degeneration
- The key carotenoid lycopene is associated with chemoprotective effects, i.e. it has inhibitory action on cancer cells, particularly on prostate cancer in men
- Lycopene protects your skin from the harsh UV rays
- If you’re deficient in vitamin A, then eating grapefruits would make up for the deficit and help to do away with the health issues associated with vitamin A deficiency
Magical properties of vitamin B and iron
Grapefruits are enriched with B group vitamins like folate, thiamine, pyridoxine, niacin etc. which have wonderful effects in your mind.
- B group vitamins elevate your mood, improve your memory and cognitive function. Simply put, they nourish your nervous system
- Folate, which occurs in large amounts in grapefruits is recommended to pregnant women to protect her baby from neural tube disorders
- Grapefruits also act as appetite enhancers and help to deal with anaemia symptoms like weakness, fatigue, dizziness, etc. due to its iron content
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: July 03, 2014