Discover the natural wonders of cucumbers in the next segment:
Cucumbers are reservoirs of polyphenols- known best for their cancer fighting benefits and anti inflammatory benefits. Most diseases like heart attack, atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis are result of inflammation in different cells of the body, which can possibly be prevented and controlled with eating cucumbers.
We all know the popular idiom “as cool as cucumber”. Well, there’s a scientific reason behind this. Cucumber is a natural coolant. The more you eat cucumbers during scorching heat of summers, the better you are protected against heat stroke or sun stroke. Cucumber is a watery fruit and it is enriched with electrolytes like potassium which helps you to maintain salt balance and prevents dehydration.
Whether you drink its juice or have the fresh slices, the effect is same.
Cucumber for your skin
Cucumbers are popular globally and are used in a wide range of skin care products. You can use cucumber in the following ways:
- Soothes skin affected with rashes, sun burn or any other infections. Grate a cucumber and cool it inside cucumber for some time. Take it out and plop over your face to get the much needed relief.
- If you are having eye bags then cucumbers are the best solution. Cut two slices and leave it over eyes for 15 minutes. Keep your eyes closed.
- Cucumber is a natural astringent. Squeeze out fresh juice and apply over your skin with a cotton ball after cleansing your face. It closes up open pores and tones your skin.
We have listed down the wide range of antioxidants benefits of cucumber in the following points:
- Cucumbers are loaded with biochemical compounds - Cucurbitacins A, B, C, D and E. They are powerful antioxidants capable of defending your body against a wide range of infections.
- Cucumbers are good for your eyes as they are enriched with flavonoids and beta carotenes.
- If you are going on a detox diet then do not forget to include cucumbers because of their detoxifying property. The fresh juice of cucumber can eliminate toxins and free radicals from your body.
Cucumber is another rare food that contains vitamin K- one of the most vital element needed for your bones. You are less likely to get osteoporosis if you include cucumber regularly in your diet for vitamin K enhances bone growth and maintains density of your bones.
The calories contained in cucumbers are as low as 15 calories/100 g. If you are trying to eat a low calorie meal then you must eat cucumbers. Furthermore, the water content being so high keeps you full for a long time and saves you from frequent hunger-pangs. This way you can manage your weight with cucumbers.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: August 19, 2014