Natural wonder: celery
This leafy green exotic vegetable is seen in a wide range of cuisines. But here we would not talk about the flavours and culinary benefits of celery; rather we will make you familiar with the natural wonders of celery on your health.
Celery protects your heart
Celery is packed with antioxidants which have a wonderful influence over your heart. Flavonols and flavones are the key elements that protect your heart muscle from inflammatory diseases.
Research has also revealed the fact that celery might help in lowering blood pressure as well due to its unique ability to dilate blood vessels. This anti hypertensive property of celery is therefore beneficial for high blood pressure patients.
Gastrointestinal benefits of celery
Celery is an excellent culinary ingredient for people suffering from day to day gastrointestinal problems like acidity, indigestion, constipation, etc. Apart from this celery contains pectin-based polysaccharides which protects the stomach against inflammatory.
Thus, eating celery juice on regular basis should lower your risk of inflammatory stomach diseases like irritable bowel syndrome, stomach infection, gastrointestinal ulcers, etc.
Being rich in fibres you can have the juice or the fresh green stalk along with the leaves daily to regularize your bowels.
Celery reduces risk of cancer
Much has been said and researched about anti- cancer benefits of celery. This is primarily attributed to the flavonoid antioxidant called luteolin. It not only wards off free radicals and carcinogenic chemicals from your body but is also cytoxic for cancerous cells.
So add celery to your diet to receive this excellent health benefit, especially to lower risk of colon and stomach cancer
Celery is packed with vitamin A
Celery just like carrots is quintessential food for healthy eyes. People who consume celery on regular basis are less vulnerable to eye disorders with age. This includes cataract, macular degeneration and reduced vision.
You should also encourage your kids to eat celery so that they have a strong eyesight right from the tender age. The antioxidants in addition to vitamin A also enhance immunity of eyes thereby protecting them from infections and allergies.
Best food for strong and healthy bones
Celery has all the essential vitamins and minerals essential for strong and dense bones. Being packed with vitamin K celery boosts healthy growth of bones. Furthermore calcium, molybdenum and phosphorous restore the healthy composition of bones. Thus, you are at reduced risk of having arthritis, osteoporosis and other bone diseases when you eat celery every day.
Some more natural wonders of celery
- Celery is loaded with B group vitamins. Thus – it’s a brain food which is essential for proper functioning of your nervous system
- Eating celery helps to beat mood disorders like depression, sadness, etc because vitamin B complex stabilizes your mood
- It is touted that celery is an excellent aphrodisiac. Off late if you are suffering from disinterest towards sex then start eating celery
- Celery is an excellent diuretic as it contains sodium and potassium. If you are having urinary trouble or kidney problems then celery would improve your health.
- Celery juice is an excellent post workout drink. It contains vital electrolytes which make up for the electrolytes lost while exercising
- Celery juice is an excellent refreshing drink for summer. Just cool the juice and add some mint and lemon and drink it to charge yourself up instantly.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: January 07, 2015