Natural wonder - Blueberries
The dark purple coloured fruits- blueberries are extremely juicy and are reservoirs of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. All these compounds improve your general health and wellness in many different ways. So let’s discover the natural wonders of blueberries over here...
Rich source of antioxidants
When you think of detoxifying your system and boosting your immunity then blueberries are the right pick for you. The natural wonders of blueberries are:
- The antioxidants like flavonoids, vitamin C and anthocyanins, protect your cells from toxins, free radicals and carcinogens and are capable of flushing them from your body.
- Reduces risk of developing cancer. The antioxidant – pterostilbene induces death of cancer cells, prevents their proliferation and slows down progression of cancer.
- The plant pigments have anti-inflammatory properties. Eating blueberries thrice a week would increase your immunity.
Food for your brain
Yes, blueberries are super foods for your brain and it is due to the presence of anthocyanins. They not only preserve the neurons from getting damaged by free radicals but also help to improve memory and brain function. The more you eat blueberries, the lesser you are at risk of having dementia.
Counteracts intestinal diseases
- Blueberries are rich in polyphenols, have both antioxidant and antimicrobial effects on your stomach. They protect you from E.coli infection.
- You can eat them along with probiotics to safeguard yourself against intestinal diseases such as ulcerative colitis.
Helps to lower blood sugar
Diabetic people are encouraged to eat blueberries because they contain a natural compound known as chlorogenic acid which can efficiently lower blood sugar levels.
- The dark purple fruits are loaded with manganese and potassium which aid in lowering blood pressure and protect your heart from inflammatory conditions.
- The plant pigments and dietary fibres like pectin further maintain balance in cholesterol and prevents rise of LDL levels. This way your heart health is restored.
Have blueberries to maintain weight
100 grams of fresh blueberries have only 57 calories. The natural sugars present in blueberries do not cause weight gain, rather the fruits being fibrous keep your full. You can eat the fresh fruits daily for breakfast or as snacks.
- Blueberries are loaded with fibres, which bring about promising improvement in constipation. They help in bulk formation and thereby, regulate your bowels.
- Apart from that, the pulpy fruits also promote health of your colon. Ellagic acid, contained in blueberries lessens risks of colon inflammation and colon cancer.
Blueberries are fertility fruits
If you are planning for a baby, then start eating blueberries right away. The antioxidants nourish your reproductive cells as well as your ovum and keep them healthy. This way your chances of conception increases. Blueberries also protect sperm damage by harmful toxins and free radicals.
Blueberries are aphrodisiacs
There’s a scientific reason behind connoting blueberries as aphrodisiacs. The minerals present in blueberries promote penile blood supply which helps men to maintain proper erection. Vitamin B -12 present in blueberries act as mood elevators that sets you in the right mind set for indulging in sex.
Skin benefits of blueberries
Blueberries are nature’s gift for retaining your youthful glow. Eat half cup of blueberries daily to prevent oxidative damage of skin cells. The antioxidants ensure your skin is free from infection, blemishes and acne.