Liver cleanse detox
One of the primary functions of the liver is detoxification of the body. It’s for this reason that doctors recommend a liver cleanse detox not only for boosting its performance but also for enhancing your immunity. Detox diet for liver includes choosing liver-friendly foods that would bring about the much needed benefits.
Why a liver detox is essential?
Before changing your diet regimen, you must know why it is essential. The main purpose of the detox diet is to eliminate the harmful toxins accumulated in your body through eating spice laden foods, junks, caffeine, sugar, alcohol, cigarettes, medicines, and several other types of potential carcinogenic substances. These substances are detrimental to your health in many ways. So you need to “purge” your system to restore healthy functioning.
The duration of the detox diet depends on your health condition and how much cleansing you need. You can follow it through the week or do it twice a week.
If you are continuing throughout the week, you need to ensure that you are giving yourself the right amount of nutrition and not fasting to the extremes. However, make sure you continue eating healthy the other days as well.
Well, the options are numerous and as said before you need to choose only those foods that are friendly to your liver.
- Choose cruciferous vegetables that enhance production of liver enzymes. They include spinach, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, and cauliflower
- Serve yourself one serving of top liver detox foods like celery, artichoke, asparagus, beetroot, carrots and yogurt.
- If you are continuing for a week, then you can have two servings of skin-free chicken, turkey or freshwater fish. Vegetarians can have premium quality of blue green algae or spirulina
- Your fruit plate must contain grapefruits, apples, tomatoes, avocadoes, papaya, prunes, blueberry, blackberry, red grapes, and pears
- Cook your food preferably in olive oil and add turmeric, garlic, cumin, ginger or cinnamon to the recipes
- You can also have whole grains like brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa. Pop in some flaxseeds and almonds for snacks
- Have dandelion tea, mint tea or green tea. Keep sipping lemon water throughout the day along with plenty of plain water.
The foods that we have recommended for liver cleanse detox are enriched with a wide range of vitamins (vitamin A, C, E), minerals (zinc, selenium, magnesium), glucosinolates and phytonutrients (anthocyanins, catechins and polyphenols). They bring about the following changes in the body:
- They up regulate hepatic function by scavenging free radicals which can potentially cause inflammation and can trigger cancer
- The phytonutrients particularly increase the performance of the detoxificantion enzymes of the liver
- Sulphuric compounds like allicin (present in garlic and ginger) can eliminate heavy metals like mercury from the body
- Glucosinolates (present in cruciferous vegetables) detoxify carcinogens and render protection against a wide range of cancers
- Your metabolism and immunity improve with liver cleanse detox
- We encourage you not to fast; rather cleanse your system with healthy variety of foods
- Do not stop taking your regular dose of medicine without consulting your doctor
- Continue to be on a balanced diet for long term benefits. Do not start hogging on unhealthy foods once the regimen is over
- Make sure your system is hydrated properly
Follow the liver cleanse detox diet in the correct manner and you will experience the benefits for sure.
Written by: healthplus24.com, team
Date last updated: Feburary 04, 2014